Friday, July 4, 2008

Am I just blasée or?...

For some reason, yesterday I was in the mood for some dungeon crawling. I remembered that I have a copy of Dungeon Siege installed on my computer, but unplayed. So I decided to give a try at last, thinking that it should be a pretty decent game, since reviews at the time (circa 2002) were pretty positive.

I seriously wonder if they played the same game I did (ok, granted, it was the Mac version I played, but it's supposed to be a direct port). Had it come out a couple of years earlier, I would be more lenient on my judgement, but this is a game that came out the same year as Neverwinter Nights? The AI is unbalanced, your party has to be raised from scratch (or almost) when they join you (even though you may be stronger) and I just hate how the potions can only be used by the person carrying them.

To be frank, I'm not really impressed. Maybe it's just because there has been so many good action and RPG games released since then, both on console and PC, but it feels like it's missing something in its gameplay mechanics. Don't get me wrong, I love hack n slash games (I'm probably the only person to have finished Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance several times on the GBA), yet I'm disappointed by this game and find it to be overrated. Is it just me?

1 comment:

Keith said...

I've beaten the GBA Dark Alliance game a couple times myself. Then again I'm a sucker for these types of games.

If you haven't already, try the Dungeon Siege title for the PSP. Very "Diablo-esque" and laid back. I actually prefer it to the PC Dungeon Siege titles.